I've been struggling to find a local and RELATIVE resource for another growing technique that's been around before my forefathers and theirs. I understand the hempy growing style to be passive hydroponics. Basically growing in a single unit containing soilless media with a raised overflow hole. Think of a single DWC bucket,  but now NO motor NO air pump NO irrigation other than a hole a few centimeters from the base. (look further https://www.growweedeasy.com/what-is-a-hempy-bucket-and-is-it-good-for-growing-weed). You never run the risk of overwatering your plant because of this carefully placed overflow; every watering/feed is replenishing the old water in the res GRANTED you measure how much liquid it has taken to fill up in the first place. The internet suggests you fill the entire bucket with some hydro media and feed/water until you get atleast 30% overflow, but filling up one bucket top to bottom classifies to me as those Dutch/Bato buckets. However my adaptation still follows the principle of hempy style, but utilizes a second bucket acting as a larger (media-free) res. Bare in mind the top attached bucket has to have drainage/holes to allow water to flood the bottom few CM.

Now here's the catch! My adaptation only works if the bottom res bucket's overflow/drainage hole is HIGHER than the base of the top pot holding media and root mass. For a more detailed (and pedantic) look, feel free to check out my live grow report where I employ a modified hempy bucket for a Fast Buds Gelato auto: https://www.420sa.co.za/grow-reports/outdoor-grow-reports/gelato-auto-perlite-hempy-bucket-r33/

In this post I will be focusing on two gifted Apple Cups (AC), where I'll be doing a head-to-head in organic soil (FF Classic) vs this hempy bucket story. Please note while in a mini greenhouse these plants are growing outdoors and are only kept in the plastic structure during rain, torrential wind or to raise the humidity when my cheap hygrometer lies and says it's under 35%

AC#1 Hempy is first image in green pot, AC#2 organic in grey pot (perlite layer added and initially too much)

Stay tuned!

IMG_20241006_092217.jpg

IMG_20241004_085419.jpg

Posted (edited)

IMG_20241008_224815.thumb.jpg.ca67133a92a44b5451e539ea3cb3bc06.jpgMy apologies for the confusion! Original hempy experiment is running in a perlite only pot with an empty container attached below it as a res. I've attached a new image showing it with the overflow hole. I shall keep this and the grow journal updated 💯

Edited by TrexTech_Extracts

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By the_dagga_doll
      The Terra Aquatica General Hydroponics Ebb & Grow Irrigation System offers an easy-to-use system ideal for both new and experienced growers. With an automatic irrigation system to ensure that the nutrient solution is pumped to the tray to feed plants, it will automatically stop working once the substrate is sufficiently watered and the nutrient solution will drop back to the tank. Durable and adaptable to the grower's needs, this irrigation system is highly functional, manufactured from 100% recycled materials while remaining durable.

Produce more, more easily, without wires, tubes and complicated systems. Want to grow hydroponic herbs and vegetables at home, work or school, but put off by the complexity of the systems? The Ebb & Grow means you can use any pot you like, almost any substrate (although we recommend CocotekPX), and move plants around at will. Herbs in the front and tomatoes and chillies in the back? No problem. All salads this month and cut flowers from pots next? No problem. All our hydroponics systems are flexible, but the Ebb & Grow really is the most adaptable system we have ever made, and with no risk of leakage or overflow, easy disassembly and cleaning, it can be used anywhere that space is available.

The GHE Ebb & Grow is an “ebb and flood” design: a simple timer (not included) runs a pump intermittently to bring nutrient solution up to the growing table, where it flushes spent air from the roots of your plants, waters and feeds them, then pulls fresh air in as the water drains back down to the reservoir.

The system can hold up to thirty-two 15 cm plastic pots, twenty-two 1 gallon (3.75L) fabric pots, or as many larger pots as you can fit on its 88 cm square growing surface, and with a height of just 38 cm low ceilings are not a problem.

FEATURES
      100L reservoir capacity
      Automatic Irrigation System
      Provides Excellent Oxygen Source to Root System
      Easy to Use
      Great Yielder System
      Ideal for New or Experienced Growers
      Adaptable to Grower's Needs
      Adaptable to Many Substrates for Growing (Clay, Perlite, Coir & Soil)
      Grow in any pots, with coco, clay pebbles or soil
      100% Recycled Materials
      Sturdy Construction
      Height Allows for Growing Plants in Places With Low Heights
      Easy to Clean
      No Risk of Leakage/ Overflow Within Minimum Maintenance
      Requires a Timer (NOT Included)